11 December 2008

Thursday Thoughts

Can you say ca-razy weather?? The meteorologists were talking about bad weather Tuesday night, but we didn't get any here until early Wednesday morning, and then it wasn't horribly bad. We had our students in the hall for about 15 or 20 minutes, but the real concern was actually north of Alex City. You still have to put the students where they will be safest, though.

Oakman, my hometown, was a different story. My mom said that around 12:30 or so Wednesday morning, an F1 tornado blew through and did damage to the elementary school, which was damaged by straight-line winds 16 years ago. The press box and one set of bleachers at the football field were completely destroyed. There was some other damage at the baseball field. Fortunately, it happened in the wee hours of the morning, so there were no children at the school. Even if it had occurred during the school day, the area of the school that was hit was NOT an area where they would have had the kids during severe weather. From the early inspections, it looks like there is too much structural damage for the school to ever be used again, and that's sad to me. My mom, dad, aunts, uncles, most of my cousins, my brother, and I all attended school there. The original part of the building was built in 1947, so it is old and doesn't have all of the features of a newer school, but it is sad to think of Oakman without THAT building. Oakman is a small, close-knit community, and the school a big part of that.

Here in Dadeville, it was in the mid-to-upper 60s yesterday. When I left for work at 6:30 this morning, it was around 64 degrees. When I left work at 3:30 this afternoon, it was 42 degrees. BRRRRRR!!!!!!! I know that isn't cold compared to places like International Falls, and it's been a LOT colder here, but dang! I don't mind cold weather as long as it's a beautiful, sunny day. Days like today, though, that are gray and yucky make me just want to stay home and snuggle with my pups.

One year, I had bus duty the week we got back after Christmas break. It was in the upper teens/lower 20s. I nearly froze my butt off. I've joked before that if God had intended for me to stand outside in those kinds of temperatures, He would have covered me in fur. Seriously, I could NOT live in a place like International Falls. If I did, I would NOT leave the house during the winter. LOL

My cousin Misty had to have jaw replacement surgery yesterday. Both joints were replaced, and for the first time in YEARS her bite is aligned. She has dealt with pain from this for years. Ever since she got her braces off, she has had problems, and over the years they have just gotten worse. Prior to her surgery, her bite was so off that a straw would go between her top and bottom teeth without touching. I hope this is a permanent fix. It would be horrible to go through the pain of joint replacement and then it not work.

I'm watching the ESPN College Football Awards. Bama's own Nick Saban is receiving the Coach of the Year award. Congrats to Andre Smith, the Outland Trophy winner! Susan and I have been texting each other during the program. She loves football, especially Alabama football, as much as I do, and she's just as "obnoxious" as I am. ;)

I discovered the SITS site the other day. I was already addicted to blogging, but now I have access to HUNDREDS of other blogs to read. I've made a couple of new bloggy friends. Some people don't "get" online friendships. I see them as modern-day pen pals. I mean, really, what is the difference?

I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. It's been a long week, and I'm ready for a weekend. Jess is coming over, and I think we're going to get to the shopping we were supposed to do Tuesday night. Since the weather was supposed to be bad, we decided to postpone until later. In addition to her Christmas, I've got a couple of other things to finish up. I have NEVER been so late finishing up. Christmas has been gotten here much quicker than it should have.

Christmas isn't the only thing that has gotten here quicker than it should have. There is only one more week in this semester. I swear, it seems like school just started a couple of weeks ago. I really need to do something for my first block class. They an awesome group of kids. Honestly, I could write an assignment on the board and leave the room and not have to worry that they'd do something crazy. Anyone who walked by would never know I wasn't in the room. (Not that I would do that!!) This kind of class doesn't come along all the time. Even the best classes will often have one or two students who are just loud or excessively talkative. Not my first block. They are awesome, but I've already said that, haven't I?

I've GOT to get off this computer! Besides, my thoughts have gone on longer than I anticipated. If you've read this far, God bless you. I've probably put you to sleep. (Someone posted a comment once that read "Zzzzzzzzzz." I just thought it was funny.)

Have a GREAT Friday!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'm like you, I can handle cold weather alot better as long as there's sunshine, I hate these gloomy days. Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!