21 October 2008

Pictures of the rooms

These aren't the best pictures in the world (I can take much better ones--it's in my genes, but Skip, I need advice!!) I think you can get the idea of how the well the floors turned out, though. We are very pleased. Like I said in an earlier post, they are about 72 years old, and they were under wool rugs for years. We were surprised more repair work wasn't needed. If anyone has any complaints, feel free to pay to have them redone to your satisfaction, but John and I are quite happy with them the way they are. :)
The first two pictures are, obviously, of the living room. The Duncan Phyfe sofa was my great-grandmother's (Grannie's mother), so I know it is old, but I'm not sure exactly how old. She was 75 (I think) when she died (Mom, correct me on this if I'm wrong) and that was 36-37 years ago. John picked out the colors for the living room and the dining room, and I think he did a great job!

The next three pictures are of the dining room (again, obviously.) The paint is a darker color than it appears. It's kind of a weird color--in some light they look more green, but in others, they look more brown. I really like the color, though.

The mirrored piece of furniture in the first picture is another piece of furniture that we will not part with. It was John's great-grandfather's. The story behind it is that it came from an old drug store. Billie has
said she remembers her grandmother keeping pies in the bottom. She says it would smell just like apples when she opened it. When John and I first started dating, Katy and Jessi would hide in it. It won't be many years before Sam can do the same thing. :-)

I had to include the last two pictures to show off John's handiwork. He built both pieces when he still lived in Hartselle, and he moved from there about 20 years ago. I use the dry sink as my "wine bar." It isn't a very big one, but then again, we aren't very big wine drinkers. He modeled the pie safe from one that Cindy has in her house. These pieces are ones that I won't part with, either.

Most of the furnishings in the living room and dining room are old, but that is what John and I love. Browsing through antiques stores and going to auctions is something we used to do all the time--until we ran out of space to add anything else. :) We still enjoy looking at antiques, but we just don't do that as much now. Whenever we do build and move to the lake, it's going to be hard to part with some of the things we've bought together.

I can finally say that after 4 months, this project has been COMPLETED!






1 comment:

Ms. Marty said...

You just about on track as far as the sofa is concerned except that Grandmother bought it from an antique dealer, so there is no telling how old it really is. She died in October 1971, was born in March 1896. You can do the math.

Your rooms are absolutely beautiful and I wouldn't change a thing. And besides, if you and John are happy, what does it matter what others think?

I an auditioning a new chihuahua. He is 10 months old, full breed, yellow in color and SKINNY. Mule is none too happy with him, but neither was Gizmo when Mule came here to live. The girl called him Hunter, but Daddy and I call him Dingo. He is real noisy. Oh and he loves to "kill" dog food. Sound like anybody you ever knew? I'll let you know how it goes. I want to keep him, but he is not Gizmo - there never will be another Gizmo.

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!