Not long after school got out, I was looking through a magazine (Flea Market Finds, maybe???) and saw a great project that I knew I could do. I've said it many times before--I can't come up with cool ideas myself, but I can recreate them with some level of success. This was one of those I knew I could recreate.
I love jewelry. I have so many necklaces, bracelets, and earrings from Premier Designs shows, from local artists, or that I've gotten as gifts. For the longest, I've had my necklaces hanging on a "tree" but I just never loved it, and besides, it made my dresser seem cluttered to me. This project was the perfect answer!
All I needed was an old frame, some paint, batting, fabric, and some knobs. We had an old, rather ugly frame that was left in the house when we bought it. Even though it was on the ugly side, we held on to it because it did have potential. We just didn't think we wanted to tackle trying to strip off the old paint.
I went upstairs to get the frame and decided to get busy. My first step was to decide what color I wanted to paint the frame. That was difficult, and now that I've finished, I wish I had used a different color, but I'm still happy with the color I chose. Then I had to get the batting and fabric. Because I wanted the frame to have a shabby chic look, I went with a plain oatmeal color fabric. Choosing the knobs was THE most difficult! Did I want to use all the same color/style? Did I want to mix and match? Did I want door knob styles, or did I want drawer pull style? I spent maybe 45 minutes looking at knobs in Hobby Lobby, but I finally (sort of) made my decisions and got everything together.
The next project I want to undertake will be a frame backed with screen so I can hang my hook earrings. Since school is about to start, though, that project may have to wait. :) Whenever we decide to build at the lake, I would love to take an old window frame, replace the panes with screen for my earrings, and then hang that as "art." It would fit with the rustic style John and I are planning.
This was a fun, easy project that can easily be finished in two or three days. Well, maybe just a little longer, depending on how long it takes the paint to dry. If I were trying to paint it now, I'd probably never finish because of the humidity. ICK!!
Hope you have a GREAT day!