28 August 2009

It's THAT time...football season!!!




Alabama Bloggers



If you have followed my blog any at all for the past year, you know how much I adore my beloved Crimson Tide. You know that I would rather spend my Saturdays between September and November in a stadium. When the games are away, I can be found glued to the TV from the time Sports Center comes on until the last game goes off (or on some rare occasions, until I fall asleep because I just cannot keep my eyes open.) Yeah, I know that isn't "typical" for a female, but when you look at the females in my family, none of us are typical. And we like it that way. :)

My mom's side of the family is very much sports oriented. My uncles played high school ball, my aunt was a softball player, and my brother and all of my cousins played at least one sport. One of my cousins, Bryne, was the punter for Bama in the 90s. He was actually on the '92 Championship team (and the ring is not only gorgeous, but it is huge.) In high school, I played softball. I wasn't the greatest player, but I loved it.

As a youngster, I remember either listening to or watching Bama play on Saturdays. Back then, teams were only on TV once or twice a season, so those televised games were special. I remember the '79 Sugar Bowl when Bama beat Penn State with the goal-line stand. They showed JoePa, and for just the briefest of moments, I felt sorry for him because his team had lost. I also remember the 1986 (I think) Penn State game at Bryant-Denney. During warm ups, one of the Penn State balls hit one the members of the Million Dollar Band. Coach Paterno walked across the field to check on the band member. I always thought that was very classy. He could have easily had the attitude that she was in the way.

As the season opener against Virginia Tech looms near, the butterflies begin to build. There are times when I actually feel physically ill because I'm so tense and nervous. Just sitting here blogging about it has caused me to get "that" feeling. If you don't know what feeling I'm talking about, there is no way I can explain it to you, and not to be disrespectful, but you probably wouldn't understand anyway. After such an amazing season last year, the entire Crimson Nation hopes for a repeat. I think that is what makes me even more nervous. And I know that there are people out there who are just waiting for Bama to get that first loss.

Be prepared to read posts throughout the season about Bama. Sometimes I might even be obnoxious, but only if you are a fan of "the cow college" as Coach Bryant used to say. (ALL of my barner friends and family members KNOW that I love them!)

Alabama Bloggers is gearing up for a Football Carnival. Click on over and pick up your button (but only if it's the Alabama button.) Blog about it and earn points for your team!

Oh, and I can't leave without saying...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!

1 comment:

Julie D said...

OK evidently I haven't been here in awhile because I haven't seen the new blog layout, and I LOVE IT! Good job, you. Gotta get caught up on my blog reading. I'll be here for awhile. Got any coffee?

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!