03 May 2010

Monday...ALL. DAY. LONG.

I knew from the minute I opened my eyes that this was going to be a yucky day. I rarely ever have crummy days, and I have even fewer days that are crummy from the very beginning, but this was certainly one of them. First of all, between 3 something and about 4, the weather radio went off twice--once for a flash flood warning and once for a thunderstorm warning. I wasn't sleeping the best before then as it was, so having that jar me awake was unpleasant. Then it came a quick storm. That wasn't so bad. Sleeping to the sound of thunder is soothing to me. And I knew the storm couldn't be too bad; otherwise, the weather radio would've gone off more than it did. And then the alarm went off. Only 19 more days of that. :)

After John finished in the bathroom, I got up and showered. The house was horribly humid, so it was no fun putting on makeup on and drying my hair. (Oh, the joys of a 70+ year old house that doesn't have central air...) My hair looked like a Medusa's snakes were crawling out of it, so I pulled it up into a ponytail.

John was going to drive my car because he didn't feel like trying to drive AND change gears on a yucky, rainy day with only one "good" hand. He went out, but for some reason the battery on my car is dead, so he had to get the truck keys. And now I have to buy a new battery.

Once I was finally ready, I put Ali and Bama in "doggy jail" (the kitchen), got my school bag, my laptop bag, my purse, my phone, my keys (so I could lock the house), and the keys to the Miata. Using my microscopic umbrella (because it was raining cats and dogs), I got half way to the garage when I remembered I needed a key for that door. I turned around and was almost back to the house when I realized that the only TWO keys we have for the garage are on John's set of keys for Miata and the set of keys for the truck. The problem? John, like I said, drove the truck, but he ALSO took his keys for the Miata because that key ring has his work keys on it. Just to make sure, I looked through the basket of keys (because we have only eleventy bajillion sets of keys for four wheelers, lawn mowers, and who knows what else.) Nope, none of them worked. Just on a chance, I tried my car. Nope. Not cranking.

I came back in the house and tried to call John. His dead cell phone was on top of the TV. (Why do I even pay for him to have a cell phone? He doesn't have it with him half the time.) I called my principal and left him a message to let him know what was going on, just in case I couldn't find a solution, and then I began trying to figure out how I was going to get to school. At this point, I was honestly thinking I needed to just call in sick and go back to bed.

Finally, I thought about Sam, so I called her. She hadn't come through Dadeville yet, so she said she would swing by and pick me up.

By the time I got to work, I was in the yuckiest mood. Knowing that sonnets were on the agenda didn't help, either. I enjoy reading them, but I HATE teaching them. This is the only part of my curriculum that I would cut out and not miss ONE BIT. We trudged through them, though, and they are done until next year. And who knows, I might just decide to cut them out next year anyway. Nothing says I HAVE to teach this particular unit.

As the day went on, my mood never got worse, but it never really improved either. Even though the sun ended up coming out and it turned into a gorgeous afternoon, I just haven't been able to shake the yuckiness.

Oh, and I have a crick in my neck too.



Yes it was. I am so glad that I will never have to repeat that Monday ever again. Whew...only three more to go...and 17 days left with students.

Julie said...

You poor thing. I've had way too many days like that.....

Hope it's gotten better by now!

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!