23 April 2009

Four weeks from today

The final day of the semester is in four weeks! Exams for 9th-11th grades are the 20th and the 21st. I think the senior exams are the 19th and 20th so that we have plenty of time to get their grades done before the day of graduation.

I honestly can't complain too badly about my year at all, but I am ready for the year to come to an end. Yeah, my 4th block class last semester tested my patience each and every day, and my 4th block class this semester tests it at least once a week, but I know it truly could have been worse. The interesting thing about both of those classes are that they have been junior classes. Hmmm...do ya think there could be something there?

Sometimes I feel like I should feel bad for looking forward to my summer break. Well, to any break. I think it's a teacher's mindset, though. I know that if I had a 9-5 Monday-Friday job and only got two weeks' vacation a year, it would be different. After 17.5 years of teaching, though, I don't think there is any way I could take a job like that. :)

My seniors are turning in their rough drafts tomorrow. They had a test Tuesday and yesterday (it is a L-O-N-G test.) I told them that they would have time after the test yesterday and all class period today to work on their drafts so that they could ask any of those last minute questions. First block did a great job. They all worked like busy little bees. Several of them had already printed out a rough draft and asked me too glance over it for them. Others were asking questions to make sure they had their in-text documentation correct. It was wonderful! My second block class though...I know someone will come in without a rough draft, and I won't have any pity on them.

I tell them that I know there are the rare extenuating circumstances that might cause them to turn something in late, and I will work with them on that. One of my girls had viral meningitis and was out for a week. Her mom works from 5:30 AM until around 4:00 PM, so it was hard for her to get to the school to turn Jessie's stuff in. Did I penalize Jessie for that? NO! She stayed in touch with me through email to find out what she needed to do and to let me know how concerned she was about her grade. How can I penalize her for something that was beyond her control? In good conscience, I can't, and I won't. What about those who did nothing except sit at a table every time we went to the library, never brought their research materials to class with them, and did absolutely nothing today? Can penalize them? Yes. Will I? Yes. Does this make be a bad teacher? Give me you input on that. I won't be offended. As a matter of fact, I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

To reward myself for making it through an entire week (almost) after having two short weeks, I'm going to get a pedicure. I hope! The place I go here in town isn't always the easiest to get in to. Wish me luck. :)

Have a GREAT day!

6 comments:

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

My MIL was a teacher for many years, and she says the same thing: she could not do any other job, partially because of the nice, long summers. I don't blame you for looking forward to it!!

Anonymous said...

R U kidding???? I think being a teacher has got to be one of the hardest jobs out there. My hats off to you. You deserve looking forward to summer break.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

You rock girlfriend...and I hope you got the pedicure today. I am shooting for mine next week. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Honey, I worked the 9-5 before I went into teaching & I will tell you--teaching is a heckuva lot tougher, so we'll have none of that guilt stuff, got it? :)
About the no mercy thing: you stick to your guns. I've made some kids and mommas mad about my deadlines for pictures, etc., but I know that it will help them pay close attention to deadlines in the future--and if not--toooooo bad!
Love ya!
L

Ms. Marty said...

What is the point in having deadlines if you do not abide by them? Do they (the kids) think the "real" world is going to let them by for missing deadlines? I think not. Do what you know is right and do not worry about the rest of it.

Unknown said...

good Luck!


I am glad to be back! Just been so crazy around here!

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!