07 July 2009

I was such a bum! (I LOVE my BlackBerry…)

**My BlackBerry has been a lifesaver! We had a HORRIBLE electrical storm Sunday—we actually drove about 50 miles in torrential rains. I'm surprised that I don't have fingernail marks in my palms from griping the steering wheel so tightly. When we got home, we found that our oak tree had been struck by lightning—bark was thrown to the other side of the yard—and our phone line was out. I reported the phone, but of course, AT&T says that service will be restored by 6 on Thursday. I remembered that BlackBerry phones can be used as an external modem, so I've hooked up to mine. It is S-L-O-W-E-R than molasses on a cold day in Michigan, but it works.**

My original plans were to stay at the lake until Wednesday, but Kristen sent me a text to see if she and Janine could come up for a couple of days. Naturally, I said YES because I have missed seeing Kris over the summer, and I've been dying to meet Janine. She said they were thinking about coming up Wednesday, so I immediately changed my plans. It was SUCH a tough decision, too. LOL That explains why I've been missing, though. Please forgive me for not keeping up. We just don't see a reason to have internet service at the lake since it's only a weekend/vacation place. If we did have it, it would have to be dial-up (unless AT&T has made some changes since I last checked.) Whenever we do build, we will have to have internet access, but that just isn't a priority right now. Besides, I really enjoy being "disconnected" when I'm up here.

So…how were my 11 days of lake bumming? Awesome. Splendid. Marvelous. Superb. Ideal. The pups and I got there Thursday about 4. I unloaded and unpacked while they ran and explored. Then I grabbed a bottle of water, turned on the porch fan, sat in the hammock swing, and enjoyed the quiet. I spent Friday basking in the sun on the dock. My nose has had that red glow ever since. J John got up about 3:30. We had thought about going to The Angler for supper, but we decided to head over to Big Bridge and eat at The Hitchin' Post. He had a blackened rib eye sandwich that he said was to die for, and I had catfish. It was really good, but after seeing his rib-eye sandwich, I wish I had gotten one, too. Next time…

Phillip, Katy, and Sam got up Saturday about 11. Sam didn't take long at all to find his favorite thing to do. We have a step up going into the kitchen. He discovered that and spent a LOT of time going up and down. Then he found the extra bottles of water that wouldn't fit in the fridge, so he tossed them all over the kitchen floor. Isn't it amazing how babies/toddlers/kiddos are entertained by the simplest of things? As adults, we should ALL take some lessons!!!

After Sam's nap (which was only about 45 minutes…not long enough!) we went out on the boat. Poor Sam was miserable. He didn't have his full nap, it was hot, and he was NOT a fan of his life jacket, so we didn't stay out long. After we got back, we thought he might enjoy the water, but he was just so tired. Phillip and Poppa John took him back up to the trailer while Katy and I floated around for a bit longer.

Sunday was much better. Sam had a good night's sleep, and we used the 30-50 pound life jacket. That was much better for him! He did toss his pacifier overboard, though. J He kept rubbing his eyes, and before long, he was sacked out. He slept on Phillip for most of the ride. After we got back, Katy fed Sam and PB&J before they packed up and headed out. John left about 5:30, and it was QUIET!! Suddenly, it was just Ali, Bama, and me.

I decided to use Monday as my get-everything-done-day. I did a little raking in the yard, cleaned the trailer, and cleaned up the boat. Then I cleaned up, loaded the dirty clothes (that John didn't take home), and went to the laundromat. Let me tell you that there isn't ANYTHING more fun than hanging out in a laundromat for an hour or so. (If you believe that, I have a gorgeous piece of oceanfront property I can sell you.) At least I got everything done at the same time. A quick trip to the grocery store, and I was done with chores.

Tuesday was a dock day. I only stayed about 3 hours, though. I needed a nap, and it was just too hot to nap in the sun.

Kris and Janine came up Wednesday. The interesting thing about their friendship is that Janine is the ex-wife of Kristen's ex-boyfriend. Remember the guy who totally turned her life upside down a few months back?? (I really don't think I should even refer to him as a "guy"—he's barely human.) The sociopath…Yeah, his ex-wife is one of Kris's really good friends, and their kids LOVE Kris. How is THAT for poetic justice? I love it. It just goes to show that you cannot screw around with another person's life without being punished in some way. Anyway, Janine is German. She moved her 4 years ago (when Bill conveniently dumped her in Atlanta.) She spoke practically no English, but she has done a tremendous job learning in the short time she's been here. I loved listening to her accent and to the way she pronounced some words. The three of us had a great time doing nothing. J

On Thursday night, we decided to go to The Angler for supper. On the way home, we ran over a rock, but it ended up NOT being a rock. It ended up being something that punctured my tire. Within a mile or so, we were FLAT! Just a few minutes after we stopped, three YOUNG guys came by. They were, well, how do I say this…they were stinky…and I wasn't sure they knew what they were doing, but one of them got the spare on it, and we limped on back home. That meant to trip to Wal-Mart on Friday for a new tire. What fun!

Danny, Linda, Chris, Trisha, and Audrey got to the lake on Thursday, too. I tried to call them to get someone to come change the tire, but they were out swimming. On Friday, Amy, Allen, Will, and Maggie came up. The kids played in the water ALL day long! John was able to get up early again on Friday, too. He's been lucky for the last few Fridays. Susan and Tim had come up, and we grilled out. John did ribs that were to die for! My hubby is awesome when it comes to grilling. (He's actually awesome when it comes to LOTS of things. For example: he just fixed the phone but we think the modem is fried, so we still don't have internet.)

We rode to Ron and Cindy's Saturday morning and had breakfast with them and Heinz and Suzanne. We sat around and chatted for a couple of hours before we headed home. Connie, Pete, Billie, and Zac got to the house about 5. Billie wasn't going to go, but Connie told her that John wouldn't let HER come if Billie didn't. Billie got ready and came. LOL Connie brought barbecue. Delish!

Sunday was a rainy, rainy day, so we didn't do much except get ready and come home. To a phone line that wasn't working. I wouldn't have come home, but I had a meeting with our new principal yesterday, and I needed to do laundry. I'm meeting some friends from high school tomorrow at The Fish Market. I haven't seen them in probably 20 years! I can't wait to catch up!!!

John is taking vacation next week, so we're heading back up to the lake Friday. We have a couple of "sweat equity" projects, but I hope we can get them done early in the week and play the rest of the week.

I know this has been LONG, and it may be somewhat rambling, but I'm not going to re-read it. I have a pup who is BEGGING me to play. J

I hope you have a GREAT day tomorrow. I know I will with my girls from the past. J



♥georgie♥ said...

wow 11 days of lake bumming! I am sooooo envious and in desperate need can i come next time?

Sounds like your summer is going great!


I am impressed....11 days of bumming. Miss you...

Debbie said...

You are one lucky woman to have such a great, long break.

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!