27 July 2009

Groundhog Day

Remember the movie Groundhog Day, starring Bill Murray as the weatherman who relives the same day over and over again? I have decided that living with Alzheimer's as a family member, friend, or caregiver is like being stuck in that movie, but the "replay" happens every 4 or 5 minutes instead of every 24 hours.

John and I spent the weekend with Billie. She has sitters for day and night, but on weekends, we're each taking turns staying with her. Like all visits, it was...repetitive. :) She read her bank statement to us no less than five times (and fussed about the money that was being spent on the sitters.) She read the headlines in the paper several times and then made the same comments about them (What is swine flu? I've never heard of that in my life.) On Saturday, we all went over to Tim and Tisha's for a fish fry, and she asked me over and over if I had ever seen Landon before. (Landon is Libby's step-son, and what a cutie pie!!!) As we were sitting down to eat, Linda said something about John, and Billie didn't even remember he was there, never mind that I was sitting right next to her. On Sunday, she asked Tim why Tisha didn't come to breakfast with him. Tisha was sitting right next to her. She kept thinking that Danny and Linda were at Mike's, and when we'd tell her that they were at Tim and Tisha's the night before, she would ask why they didn't come by to see her, so we'd have to remind her that WE were at Tim and Tisha's, too.

I have been seeing the commercials on TV for the Alzheimer's Memory Walk. I checked to see where one was locally, but the closest one to me is in Columbus, GA. I decided to participate as a "virtual walker." My goal is to raise $1000. I'm doing this in support of Billie, and I am doing this so that hopefully a cure can be found. I have set up a webpage, and I would like to ask each of my readers to consider making a donation. I don't care if you make it through my page or through some other means. Sure, I would love to reach my goal, but all that I really care about is that the money is there for research. If you do donate, let me say a huge THANK YOU!

OK--I have GOT to get ready and go to Opelika. I have been on the road so much lately that I would love to stay home in my PJs all day, but I need to pick up my computer. It is a gorgeous day here in Alabama. I hope it is wherever you are!

Have a GREAT day!

Love,

1 comment:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

OMG....this is my world. I feel sometimes like I am stuck in Groundhog Day...the movie. When is the walk in Columbus? If you want...I will walk it with you.

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!