08 June 2012

Summertime is off to a fabulous start!

The Fabulous Foursome (aka Susan, Tim, John, and I) took a trip to Memphis last weekend.  It was our Blues and BBQ Big Ass Road Trip 2012, and it was a blast.  We enjoyed some blues at B.B. King's Blues Club, and we ate enough BBQ to last us a day or two.  We had our first Memphis BBQ experience Friday for a late lunch at Neely's Interstate BBQ, and it was delish!  The next day, we decided to try out Corky's.  HANDS DOWN, our favorite!  We tried the 1/2 slab of dry rub and the 1/2 slab of the wet ribs.  My favorite was the wet, but I think that's because that is what I'm used to.  No way would I turn down the wet rub, and I think with time, they'd become my favorite.  We bought some of the dry rub seasoning and some of the BBQ sauce, so John is going to attempt to recreate them.  Paul (we think he may be Corky...) told us the "secret", so John is fairly certain he can do a decent version.  I have no doubt because MY MAN CAN COOK.  LOL

On Saturday, we did the Sun Studio tour.  If you are ever in Memphis, that is a must.  Our tour guide (Jason Fly, I think was his name) did a fabulous job.  He was extremely knowledgeable, and it was easy to tell that the loves what he does.  The history of the studio is unbelievable, and to realize that we stood in the SAME room with the SAME flooring, wall and ceiling tiles, and microphone as some of music's greatest...Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, B.B. King, U2...sent chills over me.

We made sure to go to B. B. King's Blues Club on Saturday night.  The guy who is the house band, Will Tucker, is AMAZING!  A guy sitting at the table next to ours told Tim that he has to have milk or Pepsi, though, because he isn't old enough to drink.  hahaha  He's been playing in the house band since he was 14 years old.  He'll be famous soon.  The All-Star Band was amazing as well! 

A few pics of our fun weekend, in no particular order.

Self-explanatory  :)
  
The Big Ass Bad Ass Album Cover 2012


What can we say?  They prepared for our visit.  :)

Dry rub vs. wet at Corky's...OMG


Hollywood has stars.  Memphis has musical notes.
 
Meal for two at Interstate BBQ.  And yes, BBQ spaghetti is good!

 
"Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"


Musical history was made here.
 
Father of the Blues, Mr. W. C. Handy


Memphis was a great trip, and I really want to go back.  We have so many places we didn't get to see (ok, ok...BBQ places we didn't get to eat at, and yes, I know I shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition, but it's SUMMER, okay?  Leave me alone.  LOL)  Maybe a quick ride up for a 'que sometime in the fall.  :)

So that's the start to my summer.  So far, so good!

Have a GREAT day!

1 comment:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Sounds like a great trip and the shot of you guys looks like an album cover from some righteous rock in roll band. Love it! Do you prefer wet or dry rub? I personally love the things wet. There is something about that sauce cooked onto the meat. God you have got to love BBQ if you live in the south.

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!