15 August 2008

I said YES!

Sixteen years ago tonight John asked me to marry him. Obviously, I said I would. ;) It is so hard to believe that it has been sixteen years. Where does the time go?! It is true that time flies when you're having fun, and we definitely have fun. I look forward to having much more fun for the rest of our life together. I can honestly count on one hand the number of arguments we've had. Oh, we disagree about things, but we rarely ever argue. Not many couples can boast of fewer than three arguments every five years.

John isn't a romantic kind of guy. When he proposed, he didn't take me to some fancy restaurant overlooking a big city. He didn't have flowers or champagne. Heck, he didn't even have a ring. But he did have a heart full of love, and I wouldn't take anything in the world for that. He still has a heart full of love.

After he popped the question and I said yes, he told me that he had not planned on asking me until he could afford to put a big ring on my finger. I won't lie and tell you that I had never dreamed about getting a huge ring--what girl doesn't? But at that moment, having a ring was the least important thing in the world to me. I told him that I was perfectly fine without one. A ring can be lost, stolen, or destroyed. Yes, a ring is a tangible symbol of love and commitment, but love--true love--doesn't have to have a tangible symbol. Besides, I know that he would have gotten me one if he could have. I told him that someday I would be happy getting an diamond anniversary band.

(He completely surprised me on our first anniversary with a gorgeous one. I had no hopes or expectations of getting anything that year because we were in the process of buying our house, and with earnest money, down payments, appraisals...I just didn't think we could afford one.)

One of my new friends from work was so surprised when she found out that John and I had been married as long as we have. To quote Kristen, "Shut up! You act like a newlywed. You must really be in love with him!" And she's right...I am totally and completely, 100%, head-over-heels in love with him! He smiles at me from across the room, and my heart jumps. I hear his voice on the other end of the phone, and I melt. He reaches for my hand, and I know that he will always be there for me.

God answered so many prayers when He sent John into my life. I thank Him each and every day for this wonderful, kind, considerate man with whom I share my life, my love, and my joy.

And I would say YES all over again.

No comments:

I love my Crimson Tide!

I really, REALLY mean this...

JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes

Just a few friends

Total Pageviews

Thanks for stopping by!